Saturday, February 16, 2008

Post 1

Hey Folks, Decided to start a blog to share some of my experiences being a percussionist outside of the school system and trying to make a living from it. The 6 months that I've been out here on my own have so far been very rewarding and thankfully put a lot of fears that I had leaving the comfort of a school environment to bed. Ive had some totally rewarding gigs thus far, some gigs which are just fun and pay regular bills (dance classes anyone?) and some which were total stinkers, (a Schubert three gig where i got paid yet never played a note as a result of no drums ever arriving for me). Ill post more about what is going on as it happens and maybe talk more about past gigs if i really feel the need.

I may also talk about music from time to time. things i find on youtube, new stuff i get into, concerts I see etcetera...

Ill leave this with a great John Cage clip i stumbled upon last night, Him telling the story every music student learns when they take the five minuets alloted each year to cover the life and teachings of Cage in their music history course...

I take any I get to hear Cage actually speak and communicate his ideas. so if anyone else has some to share please pass them along!


ok, im out

PS. I will try to keep the blog some what clean...and not riddled with typos..but no promises

No comments: